I must admit, I do not own an e-reader of any kind. Unless you count my laptop. I’m a hold out on embracing the e-reader. At first, I really didn’t like the idea of an e-reader and it just seemed like another gadget for people to use to ignore true human interaction. I do have an I-pod, but the screen is too small for me to read easily. Why would a writer not have an e-reader? Here are a few answers.
- smell and sound. I enjoy the smell of a new book and the sound it makes when you thumb the pages. I know that is probably the worst reasons to like print books. The smell of the printed page brings to mind other moments of reading. It’s a link to memories.
- eye fatigue. I am concerned that the bright screen of an e-reader will make it even harder for my eyes to read for extended periods. It’s bad enough my eyes are trying to make me wear glasses for things other than serious reading. If you say it’s my age I will hunt you down and shred your WIP.
- change sucks. There I said it, and this is probably the main reason. I don’t like change. It’s a fact, a flaw even.
- library chick. I love the library. I will check out a book, before I buy it. I enjoy cruising the stacks looking for my next great read. I know- as a writer I need to purchase more books.
That’s pretty much it. Those are pretty lame reasons for not having an e-reader. What are the reasons to get an e-reader?
- free books. This goes along with the library. I love free stuff.
- Indie Authors. I’ve noticed that there are a lot of authors going into e-publishing before or instead of print. I want to read them.
Basically, that’s it. I see an e-reader on my horizon, I’m just not sure when.
reading: still reading my Urban fantasy book, I really like it. It’s different, but fun.
writing: CampNaNoWriMo is half way over. I am up to 8/12 stories and 18,538 words out of 30,000. I can see the end. I have a poll at the end of this post, hang around and let me know about my next character.
No revisions and No submissions.
Overall I think I am doing ok. My writing is on track so I’m good.
A few days ago I wrote about needing a new character to deal with denial. I’m still taking the poll. You can read the original post here.
How are you doing with your goals?