Before we go to the regular post: The recent events in Paris are heartbreaking and honestly they leave me speechless. Paris you are in my prayers as the city and country heals.
It’s officially the half way mark for NaNoWriMo. The second, and sometimes third, week are harder than the first. The excitement of NaNo may be waning a bit. Here are a few tips to help get through the mid-month slump.
- Take a break. It’s OK to feel a little stir-crazy. You’ve put in a lot of work. Take a walk in the park. Have coffee with a friend. Do something non-writing related. Release some steam.
- Don’t beat yourself up if your word count drops for a day or two. I’m speaking from experience. I didn’t reach my total word goal for the week because I had one slow day. The words just didn’t cooperate. I had another day were I exceeded my daily count. The point is I showed up and worked at it every day.
- Don’t get distracted by your peep’s word count. Peeps’ or peep’s? Anyway, NaNo isn’t a competition with the rest of the writing world. It’s a chance for you to make your best attempt of writing that novel. After all, it’s a novel only you can write.
- Prevent a total melt down and back it up. No explanation needed.
- Write, write, write. That’s what it’s all about.
Row80 update. Be sure to drop by the Row80 hub and leave a kind note for the other participants.
1. Start revisions of book 2 in my Dragonfly Mystery Series-
I’ve completed one read through. It needs lots of work. Goal is to revise/edit the first 100 pages- This is the NaNo project from last year. No new progress.
2. Send out queries for Dead in the Water- Just the 1.
Plan one new short story- It’s a novel, still counts.
4. Edit/Revise Mystic Brew– I’ve edited the first 3 out of 10 pages.
5. Finish plotting Book 3 in my Dragonfly Mystery Series I have an idea of what’s going to happen. This will be what I write for NaNoWriMo, so I have to do this in October-
6. Participate in NaNoWriMo and write 50,000 words- I’m at 24,724. I’m 433 words behind schedule.
7. Read 8 books that’s for the whole round 4. I’m on track I’ve read 7.
8. Be a good human and socialize online Goal- Barely. NaNo comes before socializing.
9. Be a good Baptist and join a Wednesday night group– Yeah, I’m think this may not happen
10. Finish my daughter’s bedroom– We’ve bought the wood for framing the wall.
How are your goals this week?