We spent a week in San Antonio. Besides eating too much, I took the opportunity to share a little family lore with my girls.
Sad to say we do not have ancestors who fought at the Alamo. If we did there’s a good chance they fought for Mexico. But my Texan side is full of interesting characters and stories. Some I can not tell until that generation is no longer with us or my Mom will have a fit.
One I can share is the St. Anthony Hotel. My great grandmother and great grandfather met at this hotel. It’s very swanky. My kids ooh’d and awe’d over the chandeliers and fancy restroom. Yes, they had to check out the restroom. My great’s didn’t meet as guests, they worked here. One was a cook and the other a maid. The interesting part was great grandma was an immigrant from Sweden and spoke no English or Spanish. She even had grown children in Sweden. How they met, dated, and married within a two year period amazes me. Especially when you consider the language barrier. After they married they owned several cafes around San Antonio. It would have been cool to eat at one, but they no longer exist.
One day I would like to stay the night. That would be cool. Right up there with spending the night at the same hotel Marylin Monroe did when she was filming Niagara. I even had my picture taken next to the room she stayed in :0
Round 2 Goals:
Red highlights were a total failure.
Blue highlights were either constant progress, which I count as a success or completed.
Pink highlights are goals I’m dropping. Really, no surprise there. I hate them.
- Promotion. Nada! Well not entirely true. I’ve posted a few tweets on Twitter, but that’s it.
- Read 4 books a month. I started 179 Ways to Save a Novel by Peter Selgin. Actually, I’ve started 3 books, but I’m not sure I will finish the other two. 2/4 books read.
- Write two posts a week, not related to Row80. I have 1 out of 2.
- Stay on top of Critique group. 6/6 so far. I just have to format my submission.
Edit/revise “Stella” for possible submission to a contest. It needs to be tightened.Done. It’s ready for critiques.
- Edit/revise “Mermaid”– This has been through critique group and I need to address issues. Not yet.
- Edit/revise “Monster”– I’ve completed one read through. I need to beef it up.
I didn’t accomplish as much as I had hoped. I made the mistake of sitting next to a guy who talked my ear off at swim practice. I thought the ear buds would have been a sign I wasn’t interested in talking. I was wrong. He just talked louder. Ignoring him would have been rude. Next time I’ll hide in the corner.
How did your week go?