Daughter #1 and I finished her dress. She did a fantastic job. The dress is a Jiffy pattern from Simplicity. Meaning is should go together in a jiffy. Not exactly. A quick breakdown. The dress has 4 main pattern pieces: 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The front and back have a total of 4 darts, two of which are french darts. Most darts are like planned wrinkles.
You pull the extra fabric together and sew it flat, allowing the the dress to “fit” the body and not sag. French darts are actually cut into the fabric and forms a V of empty space. The excess fabric is cut away before you sew. It’s not hard, just tedious.
Of course none these show up well in the picture. In the end we had to take the sides up almost 2 inches because she is so tiny. I tried to get her to strike a pose, but she wouldn’t. I’m lucky she allowed me to take the picture!
Red highlights were a total failure.
Blue highlights with constant progress strike-through means completed.
Pink highlights are goals I’m dropping. Really, no surprise there. I hate them.
Green highlights new goals added.
I haven’t sent anything new out.
Read 4 books a month.
Done! I finished My New Orleans: Ballads to the Big Easy by Her Sons, Daughters, and Lovers by Rosemary James- fabulous read.
- Write two posts a week, not related to Row80. I have one so far.
Stay on top of Critique group.Completed for now.
- Edit/revise “Stella” for possible submission to a contest.
- Edit/revise “Mermaid”
Not yet. I think after Monday I should have time for this. I will make time for this.
- Edit/revise “Monster” Need to submit this week.
- Sort through critique remarks on Dead in the Water. Not yet
Teach my girls how to make a dress
Daughter 2 said she doesn’t want to make a dress so this goal is finished.
- Teach them to properly wash clothes
- Teach them how to make one meal from start to finish without help. Nothing new here.
- Buy school supplies and organize all the school stuff. Still working on this. We have lunch boxes but still need a blazer.
- Draw the current kitchen footprint. I had my husband draw it out. I’m spatially challenged. Looks like most of the cabinets will fit in the existing footprint other than the new wall we’re putting up.
- Contact a body at the hardware store to discuss cabinet options and prices. We won’t be using them, but a consult sounds like a good idea.
Empty cabinet under stove for stove installation.
- Make a wishlist for the kitchen. Working on it. I have a stack of magazine’s I’m going over trying to decide what we need versus what just looks cool.
I’m so distracted by the end of swimming and the kitchen, that I feel like I’m falling behind. I have 3 writing deadlines that I have to work on. Today will be one of them. No matter what!
How’s your week so far?