I’m a firm believer that libraries, like museums, should be free. They are a vital link for the community. I’ve been a proud library card holder since I was old enough to scratch my name across the back of the card. My late fees helped build the newest library in town. I love libraries. What’s so great about them?
Top 10 Reasons I Love Libraries
1. Free books. That’s right the books are free. I can check out as many books as I can carry and take them home for a spin. I may not read them all but I can try. 2.Magazines. I love a good magazine, but I don’t really want a subscription. My library has a wall full of the latest periodicals. They are even kind enough to provide chairs and huge windows of natural lighting to read them by.
3.Cheap movies. The local branch has walls of movies, documentaries, and TV shows. All for only$0.75 each or 4 for $3. You can’t beat that. They are partly responsible for my BBC addiction.
4.Audio books. This one isn’t for me. It’s for my honey. He doesn’t enjoy reading like I do. Shocking! But he does enjoy listening to books on tape/CD. His preferences lean toward historical fiction and nonfiction. I bit dry for me but it makes him happy. I don’t listen to audio books, they put me to sleep.
5. Knowledgeable staff. Before Google, if I had a question about the Zsras of Russia I would call the library. Believe it or not, they would find the answer. They still know their stuff. When my kids were younger we would ask the Children’s department librarian about certain books. She always knew about them. She may not have read them all, but she knew enough to answer the question. Last week, we met the Teen librarian. She helped guide my daughter toward new books that may interest her.
6. Summer Reading Program. My kids loved this when they were young. They never missed the annual kick-off and enjoyed keeping track of their progress.
7. It entertains the kids. Yes, you read that correctly. My girls love the library and enjoy going. On hot summer days it makes a nice escape from the heat. Bonus: it’s free.
8. Special Events. Our library system has a calendar of events. Some only occur at certain branches while others are system wide. For instance, Rosemary Wells famous children’s author will be at our library….this weekend 🙂 They also have movie showings, book clubs, and other events geared toward community needs. Most are free!
9. Hours of endless entertainment, escape, and knowledge.
10. Free books. Yes, I said that twice.
There you go the 10 reasons I love the library. Now, if you will excuse me I have books to turn in and Season 2 of The Flash is on hold.
What’s your favorite thing about the library?