Finally! I have a new WIP!
My local writer’s group is working on a new anthology with a Mardi Gras theme. How awesome is that? I’ve written a very rough 3500 words. After a bit of research, I can now go back and flesh the story out. My goal is at least 5500 words. It’s very skinny at the moment.
My WIP is set in Mobile (the home of Mardi Gras) and involves an actual Mystic society. The setting is also historically linked to our Carnival season. Which means…I better get it right. The story is fictional. But I want to depict our traditions as true as possible.
There’s nothing worse than reading a book, set in your hometown and about an event you know well, and being pulled out because your brain yells it’s too fake. A reader unfamiliar with the city or events may not have an issue with the inconsistencies. But a native could be annoyed.
That is the problem I’m facing. The anthology will mainly be sold in town (and online) so I want it to feel authentic. Submissions open in October. I’m probably over thinking this a bit.
As usual– there’s a playlist…
Some of these may not seem like Mardi Gras tunes but trust me. It works.
- Dancing Queen- ABBA
- Born on the Bayou- CCR
- Bourbon Street Parade- Preservation Hall Jazz Band
- Celebration- Kool & the Gang
- Chasing Pavement- Adele
- Corrine, Corrina- Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper
- Jump, Jive, an’ Wail- The Brian Setzer Orchestra
- Tailgate Ramble- The Dixieland Band
- When the Saints Go Marching in – Louis Armstrong
- Ol’ Slac by Grayson Capps
- Lagniappe (parts1 & 2) – Trombone Shorty
There’s actually another couple of dozen song as well but this gives you a good idea.
Laissez les bon temps rouler.