The countdown clock for summer is in full swing. I am so ready, maybe even more ready than my girls…no on second thought. Even though it is the end of school, I’m starting to prep for fall. My girls go to a small private school which means I have to buy books and uniforms. Bummer. But so worth it, we love our school. This week I had to locate pictures of Daughter #1 for the 8th-grade recognition slide show. Pictures of her over the last 14 years 😉 No I did not include that embarrassing one of her chewing on her toenails. Although I thought about it. I found one of my favorites.
Look at that hair! You can see the bayou behind her as she flies by on my daddy’s boat. She was a cotton-top when she was little. Her hair still has the corkscrew curls, but not as blond. Sigh.
I also received the book list and uniform policy for next year. Thankfully, she can still wear the uniform she has unless she outgrew it. She probably did, she’s at least two inches taller than me. Yes. She’s tall, thin, and blond. I’m so doomed. The book list is insane. I went ahead and ordered her summer reading books, both deal with the Holocaust. That should bring up insightful conversations this summer.
If that’s not enough trauma for me, Baby Doll has her swim team party this week and the last band concert next week. She’s only 17 months younger than her sister. She’s so excited for next year. This will be the first time they are on different campuses 🙂 Time to spread some wings. Baby Doll has been swimming since she was 4ish. At first, water was the only thing she feared. Now, we don’t even have that! I’m pretty sure she is part fish. Hence our slight obsession with mermaids.
So this summer is a season of changes. New school, new adventures.
On with the goals:
- Write 200,000 words.
I wrote 989 words this week, bringing the total to 11,903. Not much but it is something. I have difficulty writing and editing at the same time. It’s like my brain can’t switch gears.
- Edit 600 pages.
I edited 11 pages, bringing the total to 312 pages. I am over halfway to my goal.
Walk 2,600,000 steps. I’m sorry, but this is not happening. I give up. Dropped.
- Read 80 books. I finished Caravan of Thieves by David Rich. Not my favorite book. It was okay. I needed a book by an author with my first or last name for the Mother-daughter reading challenge. I didn’t finish Hunter by Mercedes Lackey. I got bored with it and put it aside. I am currently reading The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I love it! The writing is beautiful. 29/80 books read.
- Find the shipwreck at Ft. Morgan. Summer goal.
- Complete devotional. I am now two lessons behind.
There you go. I’m inching forward. I am disappointed about dropping my walking goal but I didn’t see the point in pretending it’s going to happen.
How did your week go?
Happy Spring Break!
I love living near a beach. This weekend was perfect beach weather. Needless to say, I’ve not accomplished much. But that’s okay. I’m spending time with the hubby and wee ones. I am throwing in a little research, but that’s still a secret.
- Write 200,000 words. No new progress here.
- Edit 600 pages. I’ve edited 15 pages this week. 282 pages total.
- Walk 2,600,000 steps. Currently at 474,725. I left my pedometer at home most days. It’s hard to clip it to a swimsuit! Funny story- after returning from the beach I threw on a load of wash. I did not realize that my pedometer was still attached to my pants. Now I no longer have a pedometer. Must alter goal later.
- Read 80 books.
I finished reading As the Crow Flies by Craig Johnson. Very good. I need to start at the beginning of the series. I’ve started The Outsiders, which is turning 50 this year!
- Find the shipwreck at Ft. Morgan. (summer)
- Complete devotional. I’m a little behind, Spring Break.
- Deep Cleaning. Nope, Again- Spring Break.
- Submissions. The rejections are rolling in. I sent out 1 query this week.
How did you do this week?
We are at the end of Round 1 in #Row80 . It’s also 3 months into the year. Time to see how successful I was before I take a week to reevaluate my goals and schedule.
- Write 200,000 words.
- Edit 600 pages.
- Walk 2,600,000 steps.
- Read 80 books
As expected I did great on half of them and bottomed out on the others. BUT I did work on them all. So that counts for something. I did a little math to find where I should be by the end of March. Granted there are two weeks left, but it’s easy to see if I’m on track or not.
Where I should be/ Where I am:
- Write50,000 words / wrote 10,451 words. Fail! That hurt. I struggled with inspiration and dedication this round. Hopefully, with a little planning, I can do better next round.
- Edit 150 pages/ edited 267 pages. Success! I made this a priority in order to search for agents and publishing opportunities.
- Walk 650,000 steps/ walked 413,412 steps. Fail sort-of. I didn’t meet my goal but I did better than I expected. I feel better and I’m sleeping better. All good things.
- Read 20 books/ read 19 books. Success! According to Goodreads I’m I’m two books ahead so I’m going with that. And let’s be real, by the time March is over I will probably have read 2 more books.
Looks like I’m barely keeping up with the goal monster. Better luck next time 🙂
How did you do this round?
Mobile lies just north of the Gulf of Mexico on the mouth of Mobile Bay. Our winters are usually mild but tend to have chilly February’s. If it snows it’s in February. Not this year. This year we had three days of frigid weather a week after Christmas before going back to 70s and 80s. Until today. Today I woke to 35*. Dang! It’s cold outside. It’ll be colder tomorrow. The weather this year is all messed up.
I have had a more productive week. I think I touched on all of my goals. So that’s nice. Of course with the cold weather all I want to do is curl up with a pot of tea and read. Or finish watching Death in Paradise. I am obsessed with this show 😉
“Row80 is the Writing Challenge that knows you have a life.” Be sure to leave an encouraging word for the other rowers. There is one week left of this round. Click here to read all about it.
Red means I did not reach my goal.
Blue means I made steady progress or reached my goal.
At the end of this round (March 22) I will reevaluate my goals and add new ones.
- Write 200,000 words. I wrote 1,473 words this week. I didn’t meet my goal but I did write. I’ve had this ghost story in mind and I just started writing it. No preplanning. Total pantster on this one. At the moment my ghost has no name. I’m making a weekly goal of 5,000 words to help reach my yearly goal. That gives me 10,451 words written this year.
- Edit 600 pages. I edited 10 pages of Camouflage. It’s a novella of around 25,000 words. The yearly total is 267/600 pages.
- Walk 2,600,000 steps.
I walked 4.5 miles this week a total of 40,885 steps for the week and 382,330 /2.6 million for the year. That can’t be right. I exercised almost every day. I did Tai Chi two days. My weekly goal is 50,000 steps. I need a better pedometer.
- Read 80 books. I finished If I Stay by Gayle Firman, Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, and The Ice Dragon by George R R Martin. Completed 17/80 books this year.
I just made my summer reading list. Can’t wait for the mail to arrive 🙂
- Find the shipwreck at Ft. Morgan. This is a goal for summer so, check back later.
The library just alerted me that I, Robot is in and waiting on me. I’ll have to run and get it before they change their minds.
How was your week?