I ran across this challenge recently and had to join in the fun.
Surf over to Cathy at 746 Books to find out more about this reading challenge. Basically, from June 1 to September 3 I will read 20 books. That’s a hair more than my goal of four per month. It’s summer. What else do I have to do?
I will use this challenge in place of my usual monthly TBR. What am I reading?
20 Books of Summer TBR
- Tomorrow When the War Began- John Marsden
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them– J.K. Rowling
- Beach Town– Mary Kay Andrews
- Weeki Wachee Springs- Maryan and Dan Pelland
- Wandering Island– Kenji Tsuruta
- Must Love Chainmail– Angela Quarles
- The Elfstones of Shannara– Terry Brooks
- A Study in Charlotte– Brittany Cavallaro
- Wicked Mobile – Brendan Kirby
- The Princess Diaries– Meg Cabot
- The Shores of Spain– J. Kathleen Cheney
- Illuminae– Kaufman & Kristoff
- Unsympathetic Magic– Laura Resnick
- The Napoleon of Notting Hill– G.K. Chesterton
- This old Homicide– Kate Carlisle
- Fixin to Die– Tonya Kappes
- Bitter Harvest– Wendy Tyson
- Counterfeit Conspiracies– Ritter Ames
- Macdeath– Cindy Brown
- Glistens– Chess Desalls
I reserve the right to trash this list at any time and start over;)
February TBR- Final
I did much better than expected for February. It’s been a crazy month, it always is when Mardi Gras is involved. Funny thing– the holiday pushed me to read several local books. And I’m so glad that I did. I didn’t read everything that I’d planned to read. Actually, at some point, I totally forgot what I planned to read and just read what was at hand 🙂
Corroded by Carrie Dalby– Read and loved it. Wonderful YA book.
Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot that GripsReaders from Start to Finish by James Scott Bell. Excellent. My copy is highlighted to death.
- Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade by Patrick Denis- Nope. I read a few chapters and got distracted by Mardi Gras. Auntie Mame would understand that.
A Monster Calls by Parick Ness- Really good. Not sure if I want to see the movie. From the previews, I know the two are way different.
- Fantastic Creatures by A Fellowship of Fantasy Authors– Nope. I am still reading it. A story at a time.
Other books I’ve read:
The Mardi Gras Chase (True Girls Book 1) by Maggie M. Larche- Loved it. Great short read using Mobile’s Mardi Gras as the backdrop.
The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan a disappointment.
The Mystery of Wragg Swamp by Jerrye Sumrall another local read using Mobile’s Mardi Gras as a backdrop.
The English Spy by Daniel Silva Wow! Smart and intense.
That is 7 books for the month giving me a total of 13 for the year out of my planned 80.
Hard to pick a favorite. It’s a tie between Corroded and A Monster Calls. They are different kinds of books. Monster had me in tears. If you haven’t read these I suggest you locate a copy and give them a read.
What was your favorite read this month?
Spring is in the air. I can feel it, I even pulled out my flip-flops today. The flowers are blooming and the cat is shedding. Both are signs of spring. Along with the red, itchy eyes! I’m tired of winter and beyond ready for warmer weather.
I have a huge stack of books to read this month. I don’t know if I’ll make it through all of them, but I will do my best.
- Catwings, a catwings tale by Ursula Le Guin. My daughter found this on Goodreads and had to read it. Then she passed it on to me and told me to read it. It’s a tiny little book, shouldn’t take an hour to read.
- Dragons at Crumbling Castle by Terry Pratchett. I just like the cover. A dragon in the tub reading a book.
- House of the Rising Sun by Kristen Painter.
- Charming by Elliot James.
- Everblue, Mer Tales Book 1 by Brenda Pandos. I’ve had mermaids on my mind so I’m finally getting around to reading this one.
- Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. I’m seeing a theme here.
- The Lucky Cat, Black Cat Vol. 1 by Lisa Shea
- How to Write Dazzling Dialogue by James Scott Bell
- Soldiers of Fortune by Jana Deleon This is book 6 in the Miss Fortune Series. Currently there are only 7 books. If she doesn’t write another book, I will be sad.
It’s hard to decide which I should read first. I’m thinking Catwings, since it’s tiny and then maybe the dragon book.
What’s on your TBR list for March?
February is a short month, but I read plenty. I actually surprised myself. My goal is 1 book a week, equally 4 books a month. I read 8 books this month. Total for the year 14/52
The Crimson Claymore by Craig A. Price Jr. Great read. Epic quest.
Eats, Shoots, & Leaves by Lynne Truss.DNF– I fell asleep.
The Cat Who Came in off the Roof by Annie M. G. Schmidt, This was a cute children’s book. Imagine a cat turning into a human and living with a reporter in an attic. It’s really funny. Very quick read.
Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods by Hal Johnson, DNF. The pictures were fun, they even glowed in the dark. The stories about the creatures didn’t keep m interest.
- The Night Gwen Stacy Died by Sarah Bruni. I know nothing about this book, other than the title. It’s not a graphic novel it’s an actual book. If you read comics, you should get the reference.
I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. I wasn’t thrilled with this book. The plot and characters were intriguing and kept me reading, but the writing felt stiff and dull at times. I didn’t like it enough to read the others in the series.
On my Kindle:
- The Dragon’s Curse (The Dragon and the Scholar Book 1) by H.L. Burke. I love dragons.
Let’s Get Visible by David Gaughran- It was OK. I’m not in a position at the moment to use most of the information, so it’s hard to say if it’s useful or not.
The Seer’s Choice by J. Kathleen Cheney. This novella centers on two minor characters from The Golden City books. It’s really a quick read, just a couple of hours. Great, loved it.
Extra books I read:
- Amazing Fantastic Incredible Stan Lee by Stan Lee and Peter David. Really do you need a reason to read it? It’s a graphic novel of Stan Lee’s life! It’s a great quick read.
- 100+ Free Facebook Book Promo Sites by Frank Daley. Quick read, not sure how useful the info is.
- Cora and the Nurse Dragon by H.L.Burke. Loved it. This is a great read. I really want a dragon now.
- Uncanny Avengers #1-5 I don’t include comics in my book count. If I did I’d have to up my number significantly.
I have 97 books on my kindle and bag full of library books. Plenty to choose from for the March TBR.
What did you read this month?